SM64-Stars of the Beast 2: The Legend of the Crystal Stars is a ROM Hack created by Milgram355 released on December 13, 2019. It is the sequel of SM64: Stars of the Beast. It contains 67 stars (68 but the last one works just as a warp), and to get to the Final battle you practically need 30 stars (30 of 44= 68.18% of collectable stars before the 30 stars door), hence is a short extreme hack compared to the first game.
Specifications of this game:
- 1. It is based on tight box timing and hard jumps.
- 2. To get to the main Overworld you need to overcome a speedrun challenge.
- 3. To get to Course 6 (Extra Course) you need to beat The Beast (Final Battle).
- 4. The 68th star warps you to the ending screen.
1. The creator's personal record on First Challenge is 1´58´´5 (done savestateless).
2. Get C5 Reds + 100 coins in the same attempt.
3. Collect all the 67 stars of the game.
4. Try a 30 star speedrun!
|Name||Replaced||Stars available||Stars required||Coins|
|Grassy Mountains||Bob-Omb Battlefield||7||0||114|
|Crystal Palace||Whomp´s Fortress||7||0||140|
|Desolated Land||Jolly Roger Bay||7||7||145|
|Orange Soda Pits||Cool Cool Mountain||7||15||135 (+ 10 coins which are hard to get from the piranha plants)|
|Heaven of Faith||Big Boo's Haunt||7||30||135|
|Extra Course||Hazy Maze Cave||7||Key 1||138|
|Bowser in the Sweet World||Bowser in the Dark World||4||Can only be entered after activating the Vanish Cap block|
|Wing Cap Switch||Tower of the Wing Cap||4||0|
|Metal Cap Switch||Carvern of the Metal Cap||4||7|
|Vanish Cap Switch||Vanish Cap Under the Moat||1||30|
|First Challenge||The Princess' Secret Slide||1||0|
|Sugar Valley||The Secret Aquarium||5||Can only be entered after activating the Metal Cap block|
|Overworld 1||Castle Grounds||0||0|
|New Ice Cream Vault||Wing Mario Over the Rainbow||3||1|
|Overworld 2||Inside the Castle||3||Key 1|
|Bye Bye Game!||Bowser in the Fire Sea||0||67|
|Name of sequence||Game´s sequence||Used in|
|Bumpsy Plains||Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story||Grassy Mountains|
|The Mysterious Shrine Maiden Flying Through Space||Touhou 15: Legacy of Lunatic Kingdom||Crystal Palace|
|Creepy Cavern||Mario Party 3||Desolated Land|
|Walking the Streets of a Former Hell||Touhou 11: Subterranean Animism||Orange Soda Pits|
|Faith is for the Transient People||Touhou 10: Mountain of Faith||Heaven of Faith|
|The Grand Finale||Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story||Extra Course|
|Those Who Fight ~ Let the Battles Begin!||Final Fantasy VII||The Beast in the Sweet World|
|Beware the Umbrella Left There Forever||Touhou 12: Undefined Fantastic Object||The Beast Battle|
|Pandemonic Planet||Touhou 15: Legacy of Lunatic Kingdom||Wing Cap Switch|
|Mewtwo Battle||Pokémon Stadium||Metal Cap Switch|
|VS. Yuudachi (Stage 6-4)||Azur Lane||Vanish Cap Switch|
|Battle! VS. Trainer||Pokémon Uranium||First Challenge|
|Pika Cup 1-3||Pokémon Stadium||Sugar Valley|
|Inside The Church||Banjo-Kazooie||Overworld (Game Entrance)|
|Nostalgic Blood of the East ~ Old World||Touhou 8: Imperishable Night||New Ice Cream Vault|
|Staff Roll||Super Mario 64||Overworld (Restored World)|
|Great Fairy Fountain||The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time||Bye Bye Game!|
|Pierrot of the Star-Spangled Banner||Touhou 15: Legacy of Lunatic Kingdom||Wing Cap/Vanish Cap|
|Boss Battle Theme (Edited Shorter Version)||Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga||Metal Cap|
|Greenwood Village||Diddy Kong Racing||Koopa Shell|
|Boss B||Star Fox 64||Boss Battle|
|The Sea That Reflects One's Home Planet||Touhou 15: Legacy of Lunatic Kingdom||File Select|
|The Primal Scene of Japan the Girl Saw (Looped Intro)||Touhou 10: Mountain of Faith||Star Select|
- The extra course happens to be Rainbow of the Damned (Course 15) from the first Stars of the Beast. It is flipped upside down and is extremely harder than the original.
- Much of the lore refers to Milgram's lifestyle of "being with a girl that you love and cherish" in contrast of saving and bringing love for Princess Peach (which she doesn't make an appearance) as the goal of the game.
- Some of the levels often has a cold, snowy environment. Although they are visually made nicer with references to ice cream or sweets, but instead, it's all a trick.